I spent the weekend at home for the first time in many, many years. Me and my Mam went on a day trip to Bishop Auckland and headed to the castle for a food festival. Sadly the weather was not on our side, but that didn't stop up sampling some lovely baked goods and beer!
As we headed towards the castle we stumbled upon the most glorious little second hand bookshop. Inside... it was like I'd stepped into the world of boy wizard, Harry Potter.
The above were taken in the back corner of the shop and these pictures probably represent about 10% of the stock. I found myself on my hands and knees rummaging through battered classics and flicking through old poetry books. I've recently watched the film Sylvia and had a bee in my bonnet about finding 'Ariel'. Unfortunately time was of the essence and I didn't find it, but I'll definately be making a trip back very soon!
I wouldn't describe myself as a lover of poetry, but I'd like to read more and learn more about it. I always feel a little silly when I read poems and don't understand them instantly, but I was quite drawn to this book of 'Post-War Polish Poetry'...how very specific!
My heart fluttered when I spotted this beautiful copy. I read Lolita around a year ago and absolutely adored it.
Here is one of my favourite quotes:
"The days of my youth, as I look back on them, seem to fly away from me in a flurry of pale repetitive scraps like those morning snow storms of used tissue paper that a train passenger sees whirling in the wake of the observation car."
I will absolutely be making a return journey to have a snoop around the castle this summer.

0 comments:
Post a Comment