Sunflowers!
Now I fully understand that were in the middle of a big freeze and all, but I found myself with the overpowering urge to garden! After asking around and being greeted with a few perplexed looks I found out that Sunflowers are the easiest thing for the fledgling gardener to start with. It's worked out rather well as they also happen to be my favourite flower. That very night I went to my local gardening shop and got me a variety of seeds and some compost. It proved a bit of a nightmare transporting these goodies home on the rush hour bus, but who ever said it would be easy?
I got home and all thoughts were consumed by getting my little lovelies into their plastic cups (apparently yogurt pots or plastic cups are the best thing to germinate your seeds). I carefully laid out 20 cups and filled them with compost. Then I planted my seeds about 1inch deep and covered them. After watering with a tea spoon of water I covered with cellophane and put them in my window sill.
Fast forward 2 weeks and...voilà! They're alive! My reaction is a scream so severe that my flat mate thinks that I've set fire to something. I was manic. Now I know how Dr Frankenstein felt...
All I need to do now is wait until they are strong enough to face the outside world. EEP!

0 comments:
Post a Comment