Pages

Thursday, 13 September 2012

Zut Alors! I'm Off To Paris!

Well. I only went and booked a trip to Paris on a complete whim didn't I!

I'll be spending 4 days there over Christmas. Why Christmas? It sort of sealed it when I read that in 1962 France passed a law stating that all letters written to Santa would be responded to with a postcard. That's kind of adorable. French kids also leave their shoes on the fireplace and they are filled with little gifts when they wake up in the morning. Also, adorable.

This will be my first trip abroad alone. I often think about how little I have done solo, and booking this trip has evoked something inside of me that just wants to see and do as much as I possibly can. I've cast aside 'serious plans' and even the desire to window shop in home ware sections of department stores has subsided. I want to be brave, bold, end up in awkward situations and have stories to tell. I want to get lost, discover hidden gems and let my feet be my map. All in all, I feel very inspired and rather excited!

I opted to stay in a hostel in Montmartre, which for those who are au fait with all things French, will know that it is where most of Amelie was filmed. After abandoning the French language after leaving secondary school I started learning again a few months ago. My desire to learn has soared to new heights and I've had my CD playing whilst getting ready, sitting in bed and even when I've been in the bath.
Things I Plan To Do And See

Ice skating at the Eiffel Tower. I will have my fingers, toes and limbs crossed in hope for snow. I've got a very romanticised image in my head of how this is going to play out and there is always snow.
 
  Have a coffee in Les Deux Moulins.

  See the 'melting' building. How very Dali!

L’Urgence Bar. In this bar all drinks are served in baby bottles, by staff dressed in nurse's garb. The bar is decorated (?) like a hospital.

I plan to visit the Montmartre Cemetery along with the catacombs. I'm starting to realise I'm quite the macabre young lady. Both holidays this year will have involved visiting catacombs and looking at human remains. I think this morbid fascination started when I learnt about mummies in Primary School. I couldn't get over the idea of a tomb adorned with riches, brains pulled out through the nose and generally the whole fuss of it all!


I don't plan on doing much shopping. I'm much more of an explorer when on holiday, however I would like to peruse a flea market and pick up some unique Christmas presents. Aside from that the only purchase I have my heart set on is some Nuxe face cream. I've read such good things about it on various beauty blogs that I simply have to give it a try.

I'm sure I'll think of much,much more before December, and that I'll discover things when I'm actually there. Anyway, until next time, or should I say...à la prochaine!




0 comments:

Post a Comment