I made some Lemon and Elderflower Shortbread and it was ever so easy!
| I wish I had more attractive plates. =[ |
The taste to effort ratio is something that is quite important to me. I'm lazy and I like things that are quickly prepared and even quicker in the oven. I found this recipe online whilst browsing for something fun and easy to make. As a bit of a fusspot I'm naturally a big fan of fussy tastes so when I spotted the word 'elderflower' my heart did a little flutter. I'd just recently spotted elderflower cordial in Waitrose and bought it as a treat. It was gone in a matter of days. Still...when I spotted the cordial on the recipe I knew just where to buy it. Sometimes I find recipes and they have the most obscure ingredients that you wouldn't find anywhere. I wonder why the devil they conjure up such madness, but anyway...I sourced the cordial rather easily.
This is what you need:
- 150g butter (I bought unsalted, but plan to test out with soya butter soon)
- 75g caster sugar
- 225g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp elderflower cordial
Mix the caster sugar and butter till it goes sort of creamy.
Pop in the flour, salt, lemon zest and elderflower with your creamy mix and stir until it turns into breadcrumbs.
I hate touching food in general. You'll usually find me screwing up my face when a bit of cold bean juice gets on my hand or looking like a lunatic wrapping my veggie bean burger up in a million napkins in Burger King. I don't mind sweet stuff so much so I was ok when I used my hands squish the mixture into a dough. Not using a rolling pin (apparently it over-works the dough) I pressed the dough out until it was 1cm thick and placed it a tin. I guess if you had some nice cookie cutters now would be the time to use them...
Pop the biscuits in the fridge for 15 minutes. This stops the mixture spreading as much in the oven. Then bake for 25-30 minutes until pale golden-brown. They should be firm round the edges but soft in the middle. Senastional. I topped with some leftover lemon zest and a tiny sprinkle of sugar, let them cool and then packed them up to take to a car boot sale I was helping with the next day.

0 comments:
Post a Comment