Oh gosh, I've been home almost 2 weeks after spending a wonderful week in Sicily. My tan is fading and I almost can't bear looking at the pictures of the glorious weather considering how bleeding miserable it is in the NE postal region at the moment.
Prior to my trip I bought the Lonely Planet guide to Sicily and had very high hopes indeed for all of the things that I wanted to do ranging from cycling and honey tasting at Mt. Etna to sampling Pistachios, visiting catacombs, Mafia tours and watching puppet shows. Sadly, time (and the Sicilian public transport system) was not on our side this time, but I still did 90% of the things that I wanted to do and it was far better than I could have imagined. We even stumbled across a car boot sale and I picked up the most adorable little 'Le Petit Prince' case for 2 euros!
 |
| The landscape was so beautiful. I loved how you could look in one direction and there would be the bluest water and then you turn around and there are giant grassy hills with caves and terracotta buildings pressed into them. |
 |
| I have several photo's of some very English graffiti. This was by far my favourite and became a landmark that we used to navigate around Palermo! |
 |
| We discovered a Sunday car boot sale (one of my favourite past times at home) and I bought a beautiful little case for 2 Euros. |
 |
| Sunflowers. I bought some for our hotel room. |
 |
| Chocolate on chocolate covered in chocolate. How do Italian people stay so thin?! |
 |
| Even though it was 30+ degrees I insisted on trying Italian coffee. I chose whipped cream instead of milk and it did not disappoint! |
 |
| The Catacombs in Palermo. |
 |
| Choices! |
 |
| Michael explained that these blocks along the entire shore were anti-tank blocks. Sicily has a bit of a history of being invaded...Normans, Greeks, Romans, the Spanish etc etc. I guess that's why the culture is so amazing and the food so good! |
 |
| We spent a few lazy days at the beach. It was nice to doze in the sun and swim in the sea. I finally managed to crack this swimming lark as well... |
 |
| Kite flying at the port. |
 |
| We ate at a restaurant just next to this church. So pretty at night time! |
 |
| I really wanted to see a performance at this theatre, but the season ended the day before we got there. Boo! |
 |
| The port |
 |
| The old gateway to the city |
 |
| There were little shrines dotted allover the place. |
 |
| A very Agrabah-esque market that seemed to go on forever. |
 |
| The 'underbelly'. We got a glass of red wine for 1 euro. There were loads of different takeaway food stalls ranging from fruit to some strange looking purple octopus. Also, please note the 'Rude' graffiti. One of my most favourite/used words ever. |
0 comments:
Post a Comment